Tips on how to prevent fire in the home
- Smoke alarms are critical on every level of your home. Check the batteries regularly. Don’t take the batteries out to use them in other things.
- Inside doors should be kept closed at night – this helps slow down a fire.
- Be careful not to overload plug sockets. Too many could lead to overheating.
- Dispose of cigarettes carefully and never smoke in bed or while sleepy or under the influence of alcohol.
- Ensure wiring is safe and always use a qualified electrician.
- Cooking is one of the key fire starters. Make sure cooking is monitored carefully and pots are attended at all times.
- Never leave candles unattended and keep away from curtains, blinds or materials that might catch fire.
- Plan an escape route so that everyone knows where to go and what to do if there is a fire. It’s important to keep all exits free for access.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- If there is a fire: get out, stay out and call 999.
If you've had a fire the helpline telephone number is 0800 197 1612.
For your protection telephone calls will be recorded and may be monitored.
This publication contains general guidance only. No member of Clydesdale Bank PLC group of companies or RSA accepts any liability for the content of this publication or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Clydesdale Bank Home Insurance is administered and underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc.(No.93792). Registered in England and Wales at St Marks Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL.
Clydesdale Bank PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register No. 121873. Clydesdale Bank PLC. Registered in Scotland (Number SC001111). Registered Office: 30 St Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2HL. CB Winterinfo (11/13)