Skip to content Go to accessibility help
We use cookies to keep our websites easy to use and relevant to our users’ requirements and to enable us to learn which advertisements bring users to our website. Select Accept below if you wish to proceed or How to change your cookies for instructions on how to manage your cookie settings. Find out more about our Cookie Policy.

Thomas Cook liquidation – what it means for you

The holiday firm Thomas Cook ceased trading on 23rd September 2019 and has now entered liquidation. We know that many of you will have concerns over holidays you have booked with the company, or may even be in the middle of a trip and worried about how you will get home.

We’re here to help and have put together a short guide.

What it means for you

The law says your holiday must be protected if it is a package holiday.

ATOL (Air Travel Organiser’s Licence) is a UK financial protection scheme and it protects most air package holidays sold by travel businesses that are based in the UK. This means you may be eligible for assistance in the event of a travel business failure.

ABTA has a similar scheme in place for non-flight based package holidays.

If you haven’t travelled yet

  • If you were given an ATOL certificate when you booked your holiday with Thomas Cook, read it carefully – it explains what parts of your trip are covered. For further information or to start a claim, please refer to
  • If you booked a flight only from ‘Thomas Cook Airlines’ then you may not be ATOL protected - please contact us as we may be able to help you.
  • If your package holiday is non-flight based and is ABTA protected, for further information or to start a claim, please go to
  • If your non-flight based holiday is not ABTA protected then please contact us as we have procedures in place to help you.

If you are currently abroad

  • If you were given an ATOL Certificate when you booked, read it carefully – it explains who is protecting your trip and what to do. Information explaining what arrangements will be made to let you to complete your trip and fly home will be published on If you have any difficulties while abroad, make sure you call the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) on +44 (0) 333 103 6350. CAA will explain the situation and discuss your options.
  • If your travel is not ATOL/ABTA protected, please contact us as we may be able to help you.

Please call us on 0800 121 4254, or +44 113 807 9116 from abroad.

You are here:  Personal Banking  >  Travel